Cherry cake, a classic dessert with a rich history, combines the sweetness of cherries with the softness of sponge cake to create a mouth-watering treat. This recipe has been passed down through generations, perfected to offer a balance of flavour and texture that is both delightful and satisfying.
Selecting the Perfect Ingredients
Cherries: The heart of this recipe lies in its cherries. Opt for fresh, ripe cherries for a natural sweetness and a hint of tartness that complements the cake’s flavour.
Flour: Use plain flour for a fine, soft texture. Sifting the flour ensures a smooth batter, free from lumps.
Sugar: Caster sugar is preferred for its fine granules, which blend seamlessly into the mix, giving the cake a delicate sweetness.
Butter: Unsalted butter adds richness without overpowering the cherries’ natural flavour.
Eggs: Fresh, room-temperature eggs bind the ingredients together and add lightness to the cake’s texture.
Baking Powder: A touch of baking powder gives the cake a rise, resulting in a light and airy texture.
The Art of Baking: Step-by-Step Guide
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease and line a cake tin with parchment paper.
- Mixing Dry Ingredients: Sift together flour and baking powder, ensuring a uniform mixture.
- Creaming Butter and Sugar: Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. This incorporates air, adding volume to the cake.
- Egg Incorporation: Gradually add eggs to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition to prevent curdling.
- Folding in Flour: Gently fold in the flour mixture, being careful not to overmix as this can toughen the cake.
- Adding Cherries: Fold in halved, pitted cherries, distributing them evenly throughout the batter.
- Baking: Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cooling: Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This cherry cake can be served as is, dusted with icing sugar, or accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream for added decadence. It pairs wonderfully with a cup of tea, making it a perfect treat for any occasion.
To maintain freshness, store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
Health Benefits of Cherries
Cherries are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. They are a good source of vitamins, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds, making this cake a healthier dessert option.
This cherry cake recipe offers a delightful fusion of flavours, textures, and a touch of nostalgia. Perfect for any occasion, it’s sure to be a hit with all who try it.